Monday, October 5, 2009

Majed wants to marry me.....

So, here in the middle east, it is not okay to be gay, but gay men are EVERYWHERE! I don't know if my gaydar has been more finely tuned in the last couple years, but let's be serious....a man who works at Sephora and has an ass like J-Lo is most certainly gay....anyone can see that.
The Sephora is two doors down from the Pinkberry in the mall. When we have 10 or 15 minutes, my co-worker and I go to peruse the shelves and try perfumes to relax. The folks work on commission here, so of course we are attacked with samples and offers to help when we walk in. We're Americans in Kuwait, we obviously have money to spare...
The first time I go in, a young Egyptian man named Majed starts to help us. (they don't care Lip Injection by Two Faced here.....major disapointment) but he becomes our buddy. He offers to take my co-worker out with his friends, to the movies or for coffee. My co-worker is quick to tell him that I am single (I think it was his sneaky way of finding out if he was gay or not) and Majed kindly includes me in the invitations.
So two nights ago, my co-worker and Majed make plans to have coffee with a group of people and I tag along. Within 5 minutes of being in Majed's car he offers me $10,000 if I will marry him and take him home with me.
It is pretty sad that I paused for a moment before I laughed and said, "No!". Better to be married to get someone a green card, then never married at all? That stinks of such violent desperation that even I'm sick to my stomach....
But it becomes the joke of the evening. Majed is going to Spain for a holiday and I start teaching him some Spanish, although I'm pretty sure I know "Mexico Spanish" or "Spanglish" not proper Spanish like they speak in Spain. He introduces all of his friends as "Mi Esposa" all night.
I told him that $10,000 isn't enough, I need 3 camels as well. He said, "It's one or the other."
Apparently, camels are super expensive.
He kept telling me that my life wouldn't change.....he would do his thing (YEAH, no kidding....I don't think I've ever met anyone who would adapt so quickly into the West Hollywood scene and lifestyle--He'd be the "Bell of the Ball(s)" so to speak!)
Anyway, it wasn't my first proposal...that came in Dubai a few years back, but it was by far my most persistant. I got him up to $20,000 and 3 camels before the night was over, but still I had to reject him.
I said, "I know it sounds romantic, but I still believe that you marry someone you're in love with."
Majed replied, "That's the old-style way of thinking"
I replied, "Well then, I guess I'm old-style"
I guess I am......

No comments:

Post a Comment